How to enrol at a government school

This page has information on how to enrol at a government school in the Northern Territory (NT).

How to apply for enrolment

To enrol you must complete all of the following steps:

  1. Contact the International Education Office, which will send you an application package.
  2. You can apply to be an international student at an NT school directly through the Department of Education, in person, or through an agent by completing the following application form:
  3. Return the completed forms to International Education Office.
  4. If your application is accepted, you will be sent a letter of offer.
  5. To accept the offer you need to pay the international tuition fee to the nominated school and return the signed student agreement form to the International Education Office. The first semester’s international student tuition fees, bond and overseas student health cover need to be paid to the school before documentation to support your via application can be issued.
  6. On receipt of fee payment and the student agreement form, a confirmation of placement letter, a certificate of insurance and, where required, a confirmation of appropriate accommodation and welfare letter will be issued.
  7. If you need us to find homestay accommodation, complete the homestay application and return it with the application to enrol to the International Education Office.
  8. On receipt of your visa, notify the International Education Office to allow the school to be advised of your anticipated arrival date. 
  9. If you are staying in homestay accommodation, you will be met by your host family at the airport.

Enrolment conditions

All applicants must meet all of the Australian Government criteria including: 

  • meeting English language requirements
  • maintaining enrolment as a full-time student
  • maintaining sufficient finances to cover all expenses incurred during your stay in Australia
  • if you are under 18 years old, you must remain living with a parent, legal custodian or relative over the age of 21, or in homestay accommodation arranged or approved by your education provider throughout your time as an international student in Australia
  • be at least 15 years old if they need to stay in homestay accommodation
  • have acceptable health insurance to cover your time in Australia
  • agree to return home when you have completed your studies.

Cancelling enrolments

Enrolments can only be deferred, temporarily suspended or cancelled for one of the following reasons:

  • compassionate or compelling circumstances, such as illness where a medical certificate states that the student is unable to attend classes
  • misbehaviour by the student.


Contact the International Education Office at the Department of Education using the contact details below.

International Services
Department of Education
PO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

Phone: +61 8 8901 1336

Last updated: 28 February 2017


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.