Before you arrive: international students
If your child is planning to study at a Northern Territory (NT) Government school, they need to know their responsibilities before arriving.
Read below to find out about student, parent and school responsibilities.
As an international student, your child must comply with the following:
- enrolment conditions and policies at their school
- Australian laws
- visa and course requirements
Students must not engage in any activity that may endanger the safety of themselves or any other person.
Work while you study
Students on a subclass 500 student visa aged over 15 are allowed to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight.
As the parent of an international student, you must:
- ensure your child has a valid passport and visa
- ensure your child is financially supported and has enough money to cover:
- living costs
- return air fares
- pay all relevant fees
- arrange health cover
- contact the Department of Education immediately if your child's visa is cancelled or if their visa status changes
- advise the department in writing within seven days of any changes to:
- your address or contact details
- your child’s address or contact details.
NT government schools will do all of the following:
- provide your child with the same level of instruction and educational services provided to other students
- provide English language support if needed
- appoint suitably qualified staff to oversee the provision of services and care
- provide your child with an orientation program
- introduce your child to the school community
- provide counselling and ongoing support as needed while your child is enrolled in the school
- provide at least two written reports per year.
The Department of Education cannot guarantee that your child will:
- gain a place in an NT Government school
- successfully complete their studies
- successfully complete their Northern Territory Certificate of Education and Training (NTCET)
- gain entry to a tertiary institution.
Last updated: 27 May 2019
Share this page:URL copied!