About reporting a crime

When reporting a crime you need to decide whether it is an emergency situation or a non-urgent issue.

This page will help you to choose how to report. You should report:

  • if life or injury is being threatened
  • if property is being threatened
  • a crime that is in progress, being witnessed or just committed
  • a domestic violence incident
  • anti-social behaviour.

Report an emergency

In an emergency you should call 000.

Find out more about when to call 000.

Report non-urgent incidents

You should call 131 444 to talk to a police operator. This is a 24-hour hotline.

A non-urgent incident could be:

  • suspicious activity
  • damage or graffiti
  • nuisance or disturbance
  • stolen vehicles
  • break-ins.

Contact Crime Stoppers

You can report information that may help solve a crime to Crime Stoppers:

You don’t need to give your name or address and you can remain anonymous.

Last updated: 28 May 2015

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.