Report child abuse

In the Northern Territory (NT), you must report your concerns if you believe a child is being, or has been, harmed or abused.

This is a legal responsibility under the Care and Protection of Children Act 2007 and is called mandatory reporting.

Your report should include any relevant information about your concerns for the child's safety and wellbeing.

You don't need proof of harm or abuse to report your concerns - you just need a reasonable belief that a child has been harmed or is likely to be harmed.

If you are worried about neglect or harm to a child but are not sure if it's something you should report, you should talk about your concerns with professional staff at the child protection reporting line on 1800 700 250. The reporting line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You are safeguarded under the law from legal or professional liability if you make a report in good faith.

How to report child abuse

In an emergency, call 000 and ask for police.

If it's not an emergency, call police on 131 444 or contact your local police station.

You can also report suspected child abuse to:

If you're an NT government worker, you can submit a report online.

Find out more about child abuse.

Last updated: 13 July 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!