Legal change of name

Legally change your name

To change your name in the Northern Territory, you must be:

  • over 18 years old
  • one of the following:
    • born in the NT
    • born overseas and a resident of the NT for at least 12 consecutive months.

If you were born interstate, you must change your name in that state or territory.

If you were born overseas, you must submit the following with your application:

  • proof that you've been a NT resident for 12 consecutive months, such as:
    • bank statement with your name, current address and transactions within the NT
    • Power and Water bills with proof of payment, your name and current address
    • payslips from an employer in the NT showing your name and your employer's name or ABN number
  • certified copies of identity documents with your current name - if your name is not the same, you must provide a birth certificate and any previous change of name certificates
  • proof of citizenship or permanent residency status in Australia.

To change your name, follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the application

If you were born:

Step 2. Choose to change birth certificate to new name

If you were born in the NT, you can choose to change your birth certificate to your new name.

To do this, you must:

  • give consent on on your application
  • return your previously issued birth certificate.

If you can't provide your previous birth certificate, fill in and attach the statutory declaration.

Statutory declaration PDF (84.2 KB)
Statutory declaration DOCX (15.5 KB)

If you were not born in the NT, contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages office where you were born.

Step 3. Sign the application in front of a witness

You must sign the application in front of a witness over 18 years old.

Step 4. Submit your application and supporting documents

You must submit your application with the following, by mail or in person to a Births, Deaths and Marriages office:

  • proof of identity documents and evidence of any previous name changes eg. change of name, marriage or birth certificate
  • a detailed reason for changing your name - statements like ‘I want to’ or ‘personal’ are not detailed enough
  • a marriage certificate if you're changing your name after getting married
  • payment for the change of name fee - check the fee
  • statutory declaration (if applicable)
  • supporting documents if you were born overseas.

After you've submitted your application, you may be asked to provide a national police check at your own cost.

This may delay your application.

Lost or misplaced change of name certificate

If you have lost or misplaced an NT change of name certificate and need another, follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the application for certified copy of a name change.

Application for certified copy of name change PDF (157.7 KB)
Application for certified copy of name change DOCX (64.0 KB)

Step 2. Attach identity documents.

Step 3. Submit your application with identity documents and pay the fee.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 August 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!