Identification documents for birth, death or marriage certificates

You need to prove your identity when you apply for a birth, death, or marriage certificate in the Northern Territory (NT).

You will also need to submit identification documents for anyone else you are applying for.

You will need to upload scanned or photographed images of your identification documents.

At least one of your documents must be a current:

  • Australian passport
  • Australian driver's licence
  • Centrelink concession card.

To prove your identification, you will need either:

  • one piece of identification from the primary source list below
  • or two pieces of identification from the secondary source list below.

If you apply by fax or mail, you must get copies of your identity documents certified by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths.

Primary sources

  • current NT driver licence with photo
  • current Australian passport
  • current document of identity issued by the Australian Passport Office
  • current Defence Force or police service photo ID card
  • current Ochre Card.

Secondary sources

If you don’t have identification documents from the primary source list, at least two other forms of ID must be produced, with at least one from List 1.

List 1

  • NT proof of age card from Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR)
  • current overseas passport with current entry permit
  • naturalisation, citizenship, or immigration papers issued by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs
  • current consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • current student photo identity card
  • current photo driver licence from another state or territory
  • Australian passport or document of identity expired within the last two years
  • baptismal certificate
  • letter of identity from an Aboriginal community or other recognised cultural group
  • NT security identification.

List 2

  • current Medicare card
  • current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth Government (for example, pension card)
  • current credit card, account card, passbook or bank account statement
  • current telephone bill, electricity and water rates, or council rates account with evidence of payment
  • identity cards issued by either Larrakia or Tangentyere
  • current life, house or contents insurance policy with evidence of payment
  • current student identity card or statement of enrolment
  • current apprenticeship or traineeship papers
  • current vehicle registration papers
  • evidence of change of name
  • registered mortgage papers, title or deeds to real estate
  • Defence Force discharge papers issued within the last two years
  • electoral enrolment card issued within the last two years
  • school or other educational report less than 12 months old
  • taxation assessment notice from the last year
  • expired driver’s licence within the last two years
  • other forms of identification may be accepted at the discretion of registry staff.

Parents do not have the automatic right to access their child’s birth records if their child is over 18 years old.

If you are applying for a birth certificate for your child who is over 18 years old, you will need their permission to access the birth records.

If you are applying on behalf of someone else who is over 18 years old, you must provide:

  • your own identification documents
  • the person's identification documents
  • a letter giving permission for you to obtain the certificate from the person named on it
  • the person’s address, telephone number and signature.

Last updated: 13 August 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!