Legal change of name

Change the name of your baby

If your baby was born in the Northern Territory (NT) and is under 12 months old, you can change their name by completing a statutory declaration.

Follow these steps:

Step 1. Complete a statutory declaration.

If both parents are named on the child’s birth certificate, they must complete the double statutory declaration.

Double statutory declaration PDF (86.3 KB)
Double statutory declaration DOC (34.0 KB)

If one parent is named on the child’s birth certificate, you must complete a statutory declaration.

Statutory declaration PDF (86.0 KB)
Statutory declaration. DOCX (16.2 KB)

It must include all of the following:

  • the child’s full old name
  • the child’s full new name
  • a reason for the change.

Step 2. Sign the statutory declaration in front of a witness who is 18 or older.

Step 3. Submit your documents in person or by mail to a Births, Deaths and Marriages office.

You need to submit all of the following:

  • the completed statutory declaration (it must not be a copy)
  • proof of identity documents for the parents or one parent making the application, making sure any copies are certified
  • your child’s existing NT birth certificate with the old name - if you can’t find their birth certificate, you will need to complete a statutory declaration form
  • payment for the amendment fee - check the fee.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 August 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!