Apply for a pawnbroker and second-hand dealer licence
Before you apply
To apply for an pawnbroker or second-hand dealer licence, you must be:
- over 18 years old
- willing to undergo a police check
- able to provide all the supporting information.
How to apply
Follow these steps to apply for a pawnbroker or second-hand dealer licence.
Step 1. Apply online or fill in the form
To apply online, go to Licensing NT Online or fill in the application for a licence as a pawnbroker and/ or second-hand dealer form.
Step 2. Criminal history check
Step 3. Advertise your intent
Fill in the pro forma advertisement template and advertise your intention to operate a pawnbroking or second-hand dealer business in the NT News, and another local newspaper if available.
Step 4. For individuals and partnerships
Obtain evidence of material and financial resources for each person associated with the application to operate as a pawnbroker and/ or second-hand dealer - eg: banker’s guarantee, bank statement, or a statement of financial position for each individual.
Step 4. For corporations
Obtain evidence of material and financial resources for the body corporate associated with the application to operate as a pawnbroker and/ or second-hand dealer - eg: banker’s guarantee, bank statement, a statement certified by an accountant of the financial performance and financial position of the corporation, or a statement of financial position for each director.
Obtain an Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) paid search extract for your corporation that lists all the office bearers - eg: directors.
Step 5. Fill in a statutory declaration
Fill in a statutory declaration form and sign it in front of a witness over 18 years old.
Step 6. Submit your documents
Submit your documents in person or by mail to a Territory Business Centre.
You need to submit all of the following:
- your completed application
- evidence that you have submitted a police history check
- your newspaper advertisement showing the date it was advertised
- statements of material and financial resources of the each applicant to operate as a pawnbroker and/ or second-hand dealer - eg banker’s guarantee, bank statement, or a statement of personal position for the sole trader and each partner
- two written referee statements for each applicant - eg: sole trader, partner or director, stating that the individual is a fit and proper person to be a licensed pawnbroker and/ or second-hand dealer
- proof of registration of your business name
- current ASIC business name extract, showing the proprietor of the business name
- current photographic identification for each person associated with application - eg: drivers licence, passport, birth certificate - certified true copies if the application is not submitted in person
- proof of ownership of the the nominated business address, or a copy of lease of premises and a letter of consent/ approval from owner to run a pawnbroker/ second-hand dealership
- proof that premises are appropriately zoned for a pawnbroker and/ or second-hand dealer business
- additional supporting document required for corporation licences only: a current ASIC company name extract, showing the proprietor of the business name
- your completed statutory declaration form
- payment of an application fee for your licence - by credit card, EFTPOS, or cheque payable to the Receiver of Territory Monies.
You can call the Territory Business Centre if you need help with the application process.
Free call 1800 193 111 during office hours Monday to Friday.
You do not need a police history check to renew your licence, but each person associated with the renewal licence must complete a statutory declaration stating they have not been involved in criminal activity since issued with their licence.
Licences expire on 1 March, but you must lodge your application for renewals by 31 January in the year your licence expires to allow time for processing.
You can apply to a Territory Business Centre to register your equivalent pawnbroker licence from another state or territory in the Northern Territory.