Pawnbrokers and second-hand dealer licences

Second-hand dealers licence

A second-hand dealer licence allows you to buy, sell or exchange second-hand goods, whether the goods are bought, sold or exchanged for yourself or on behalf of another person.

As a licensed second-hand dealer, you must do all of the following: 

  • conduct your business fairly and ensure adequate management, supervision and control of business operations
  • keep employment records for employees who enter into contracts on behalf of your business and provide their records to police on request - the records must include your employee's full name, residential address and date of birth, a photograph you can certify is of your employee, and a record of your employee's application for employment
  • only enter into contracts with people over 18 years old, unaffected by alcohol or drugs, after checking their full name, address and identity 
  • in relation to contracts about compact discs, record the title of the disc and the name of the artist as soon as the information becomes available to your business
  • for each transaction, record a contract number, name and address of the vendor, date and time of the contract, a description of the goods, and details of the good's storage and disposal
  • for each contract, record the details in electronic form or in a bound book and use a distinguishing number for each contract.

Exempted goods

You do not need a licence to deal with the following exempted goods: 

  • boats - but not including outboard motors or other marine equipment
  • books, magazines and periodicals
  • ferrous and non-ferrous scrap metals other than gold or silver
  • goods collected under a recycling scheme for the purposes of a council
  • goods other than jewellery purchased for the purpose of manufacturing another article from the goods
  • clothing, including footwear
  • furniture, including lamps and light fittings other than electrical or electronic appliances or movable heaters, where the second-hand dealer's retail sale price is greater than $30
  • household soft furnishings, including rugs, curtains and manchester
  • household decorative goods, including statues, figurines, paintings, prints and drawings
  • kitchenware, including pots, pans, crockery and cutlery - but not domestic, electrical or electronic appliances where the second-hand dealer’s retail sale price is greater than $30
  • motor vehicles
  • mining machinery and parts
  • farming machinery and parts - but not accessories such as audio equipment, electronic monitoring equipment or lamps
  • rags
  • bones
  • glassware, including bottles
  • cans
  • waste plastic materials
  • waste paper materials
  • salvaged building materials including doors, window frames, tiles, bricks and timber
  • white goods in the nature of large domestic electrical equipment, including refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, clothes dryers, ovens and ironing presses - but not portable or camping refrigerators or microwave or microwave/ convection ovens
  • camping equipment and fishing gear where the second-hand dealer’s retail sale price is or will be less than $30
  • collectibles such as stamps, trading cards, dolls, toys and military memorabilia
  • records and cassette tapes.

Contact Licensing NT for more information.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 March 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!