Primary producer discount and pastoral vehicle permits

Pastoral vehicle permit

You can apply for or renew your pastoral vehicle permit to drive an unregistered vehicle for work purposes on public roads.

You can also transfer the permit to a replacement vehicle if the first vehicle can no longer be serviced or is redundant.

A permit is valid for 12 months and is renewable.

Before you apply

You will need to do all of the following:

  • ensure your pastoral vehicle meets the minimum safety standards
  • undertake a roadworthy inspection if directed by the MVR.

Read the approved safety standards and operational restrictions for each vehicle type.

How to apply 

Complete the application for pastoral vehicle permit PDF (204.4 KB).

In person

You can apply in person at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash or EFTPOS.

If you can't get to a MVR office in person you should contact the MVR.

Where you can drive your vehicle

A pastoral vehicle permit will allow you to drive an unregistered vehicle for work purposes on public roads in any of the following situations:

  • within your specified property
  • when necessary roads connect parts of the same property
  • for fire management operations.

Fire management operations include any of the following:

  • assisting in the control of a bushfire, protecting property, or the life of any person from existing or imminent danger
  • construction of firebreaks by slashing, burning, rolling, chemical spraying, mowing or scarifying
  • burning off operations
  • fire patrol and mop up operations following a fire.

Where you can't drive your vehicle

You can't use a permit to drive a pastoral vehicle in any of the following areas:

  • on other properties under the same ownership - except where properties are adjoining and operated as one unit by the same legal entity
  • in Darwin, Alice Springs, Katherine or Tennant Creek, Batchelor, Jabiru or Nhulunbuy
  • Arnhem highway between Stuart Highway and Lambells Lagoon
  • Cox Peninsula Road between Stuart Highway and Berry Springs turn off
  • Howard Springs Road between Stuart Highway and Howard Springs Reserve
  • Katherine Gorge Road between Katherine and Katherine Gorge
  • Larapinta Drive between Railway Terrace and Simpson's Gap turn off
  • Ross Highway between Stuart Highway and Jessie Gap
  • Stuart Highway between:
    • Darwin and Adelaide River
    • Katherine Rural College and Tindal turn off
    • Barkly Highway and Tennant Creek Meatworks
    • Tanami Road and Alice Springs cattle yards turn off
  • Victoria Highway between Stuart Highway and King River.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 17 August 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!