Eligibility for free dental services
You can access free public dental services in the Northern Territory (NT) if you meet any of the following:
- you are under 18 years old - as long you have not finished school and do not work full time
- you are part of the Australian Government's cleft lip and cleft palate scheme - go to the Services Australia website
- you have a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- you have a Centrelink Health Care Card
- you are a remote resident needing emergency dental care and don't have access to private dental services
- you must be more than 100km from your nearest health service.
For orthodontic services, in addition to the above, you must also meet all of the following:
- you are the holder or dependant of a current Health Care Card or Pension Concession Card issued by the Australian Department of Human Services
- you meet strict clinical criteria based on clinical assessment of a public orthodontist or dentist
- your orthodontic treatment will be completed by the age of 18.
If your eligibility status changes
If your eligibility status changes during a short course of care, such as routine fillings, your entitlement to treatment won't change.
If your eligibility status changes during a long course of care, such as during orthodontics, root canal treatment, prosthetics or periodontics, you will be referred to the private health sector after immediate treatment is completed.
|Residents of the NT for more than six months||Emergency services||General services|
|School aged children||Yes||Yes|
|Below school aged||Yes||Yes|
|Residents living in the NT for less than six months||Emergency services||General services|
|School aged children||Yes||No|
|Below school aged children||Yes||No|
|Cleft lip/palate scheme members||Yes||Yes|
|Non-Australian residents||Emergency services||General services|
|Tourist visa (676)||No||No|
|Dependants of holders of temporary/ interim Medicare cards||Yes||Yes|
|457 visa (employer/visa holder responsible for healthcare costs)||No||No|
|Refugees within six months of arrival||Yes||Yes|
|Trauma and/or torture victim||Yes||Yes|
|Overseas students (570 - 576)||No||No|
|Temporary residence (non business) 406 - 423||No||No|
|Employer sponsored (176/886 or 475/487)||No||No|
For more information contact the Oral Health Services:
Last updated: 20 July 2022
Share this page:URL copied!