Wastewater management systems outside building control areas
If you want to install a wastewater management system (WMS) outside a building control area, you must follow certain rules.
Systems installed outside building control areas are regulated by the Department of Health (DoH).
They are subject to the:
- Public and Environmental Health Act 2011 and
- part 6 of the Public and Environmental Health Regulations 2014.
You can check if your property is in a building control area on the NT Land Information System website.
Changes to regulations
On 2 November 2020, changes were made to the way WMSs are regulated in the NT.
These changes are part of the amended Public and Environmental Health Regulations 2014.
- updated code of practice for wastewater management
- code of practice for product approval of on-site WMSs.
WMS designers, installers and other industry professionals must follow the new regulations for all WMSs installed outside a building control area.
Before you start
Read the administrative procedures on how to install a WMS outside building control areas.
Notify the department
You must notify the DoH if you want to install:
- a WMS that treats more than 2,000 litres per day or
- multiple systems that treat more than 2,000 litres per day.
You must do this before you start any work.
Get your system certified
You must get the design and installation of your WMS certified.
You should engage a:
- hydraulic consultant to certify the design
- licensed plumber and drainer to certify the installation.
A hydraulic consultant can either be a:
- certifying engineer (hydraulic) or
- certifying plumber and drainer (design).
How to apply
To notify the department about installing a WMS, follow these steps:
Step 1. Get your hydraulic consultant to fill in the notification to install a WMS outside a building control area .
Step 2. You must sign the notification form.
Step 3. Pay the fee at your nearest Receiver of Territory Monies office.
Step 4. Email your form with receipt of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, email email@example.com.
Last updated: 29 March 2022
Share this page:URL copied!