What is prescribed residential building work
- a class 1a building, for example a single dwelling, a detached house or attached townhouses or duplexes
- a class 2 building, for example attached units or flats
- extensions and renovations to class 1a or class 2 buildings where the floor area is increased
- a class 10 building - for example a garage, carport or shed - attached to and built at the same time as a class 1a or class 2 building
- a retaining wall - whenever built - that is not attached to a class 1a or class 2 building but on which the integrity of such a building depends
- the relocation of an existing building.
Requirements of prescribed work
You must use a registered building contractor for prescribed building work. Read about choosing a builder or contractor.
You must sign a contract with your builder for prescribed building work. Read about signing a residential building contract.