Building and renovating a home

Residential building work that requires a registered builder

This page has information about when you must use a registered builder for residential building work in the Northern Territory (NT).

When you must use a registered builder

You must use a registered builder for prescribed residential building work. Find out what is prescribed building work

New builds

When you construct a new home you must:

  • use a registered building contractor - either a building contractor residential (restricted), or a building contractor (unrestricted) 
  • or become registered as an owner builder.

For buildings of three storeys or more, you must employ a building contractor residential (unrestricted).

Extensions and renovations

You may need to use a registered building contractor for your renovation or extension. 

Check the table of residential building work that requires permits to see if you need a registered building contractor.

Finding a builder

Read about choosing a builder or contractor.

Becoming an owner builder

You may choose to become a registered owner builder. Find out how to get an owner builder certificate.

Owner-builders can't construct, extend or renovate duplexes, townhouses, flats or units.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 March 2016

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.