National Selection Grant Program
If you’ve been selected to represent Australia at a recognised sporting event, you may be eligible for funding to help with the costs.
To be eligible, you must be:
- one of the following:
- a Northern Territory (NT) resident for at least 12 months
- a current NT Sports Academy scholarship holder based interstate or overseas
- in an official Australian team by the National Sporting Organisation (NSO) as:
- an official athlete, coach or support staff
- at least 12 years old at the time of the event.
Applications are open until Wednesday 31 May 2023, or until all funding is spent.
To get funding, your application must align with one of the following 4 categories:
- elite Australian representation - every 4 years for that event eg. Olympic, Paralympic or Commonwealth Games, or World Cup:
- athlete - $10,000
- coach, official or support staff - $5,000
- elite Australian representation - every 1 or 2 years for that event eg. World Championships:
- athlete - $5,000
- coach, official or support staff - $2,500
- non-elite Australian representation at an overseas event:
- athlete, coach, official or support staff - $2,000
- non-elite Australian representation at an event held in Australia:
- athlete, coach, official or support staff - $1,000.
If you’re an athlete with a disability or special needs, you can request more funding for a primary carer or support person.
Past events as well as trial or training events for national selection are not eligible.
To find out more about these categories, read the guidelines under the 'how to apply' section below.
When you apply, you must provide evidence to support your recognised selection process.
If there was not a selection process for your non-elite event, you can provide the following from the NT Peak Sporting Body and NSO (no self-nomination):
- evidence of legitimacy
- qualifying results
- national ranking and endorsement.
To apply, follow these steps:
Step 1. Read the guidelines.
Step 2. Contact Territory Families, Housing and Communities for advice on your application.
Step 3. Apply online through GrantsNT.
If you’re under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must apply on your behalf.
After you apply
Once you’ve submitted your application, you will be notified of the outcome within 2 weeks by mail or email.
If you're successful
If you’re successful, you will get a grant agreement that you must sign and return to receive your funds.
In this agreement, you must follow these terms and conditions:
- use the funds for the agreed purpose, unless you get approval to do otherwise
- acknowledge sports grant funding from the NT Government
- return any funds not spend.
If you don’t meet these terms and conditions, your funding may be withdrawn and it may be recovered as debt due.
For help with your application, contact Territory Families, Housing and Communities by:
Last updated: 21 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!