Permits for businesses in parks

You must apply for a permit if you want to do business or commercial activities in a park or reserve in the Northern Territory (NT).

You should apply at least three months before you want to start doing business.  Not all permit applications are successful.

There are two kinds of permits for commercial activities, minor concession and major concession.

The Parks and Wildlife Commission does not provide permits for Kakadu or Uluru Kata Tjuta National Parks.

Go to the Australian Government's Department of the Environment website for more information about national parks.

Expand all | Close all

Commercial activities

Commercial work is for money or financial gain.

This includes any of the following:

  • specialised guided tours
  • tours to specific parks and reserves
  • on-park commercial activity
  • guided bushwalking tours
  • guided mountain bike tours
  • guided spot lighting tours
  • mobile kiosk sales
  • restricted area guided walking tours
  • restricted area guided vehicle tours
  • ballooning tours
  • non-motorised canoe hire
  • dinghy hire
  • guided abseiling and rock climbing
  • guided horse and camel rides
  • helicopter tours
  • tented (safari) camps.

Minor concession permits

A minor concession includes all of the following:

  • a refreshment kiosk
  • tea rooms
  • souvenir or craft shops
  • small hire operations such as canoes or bicycles
  • a safari camp
  • a park-based tour such as a caving tour and instruction
  • a cruise boat tour and instruction.

Major concession permits

A major concession includes all of the following:

  • services or guided leisure activities
  • a motel
  • a caravan park
  • a camping area
  • a food outlet that also hires canoes, bicycles
  • a luxury safari camp
  • guided boat tours.

Before you apply

The business you propose must be assessed and approved before you can submit an application for a permit for that business.

Phone 08 8999 6393 to have your business proposal assessed and approved.

How to apply

You will be asked to pay a security deposit and provide proof of public liability insurance.

To apply for a permit you must fill in either:

  • an application for a minor concession
  • or an application for a major concession.

Submit your form, application fee and other documents by email, fax, mail or in person to the Parks and Wildlife concessions and permits section.

Application for a minor concession

Application for a minor concession PDF (200.2 KB)
Application for a minor concession DOCX (53.8 KB)

Application for a major concession

Application for a major concession PDF (90.2 KB)
Application for a major concession DOC (71.5 KB)


Each permit application costs $300.

You can apply for more than one permit at a time for the same cost.

You do not have to pay a fee if you want to renew your permit.

If your application is not successful you will get your $300 back.

How to renew

You may be allowed to renew your permit. See the conditions of your permit and the terms of its renewal.

If you are not allowed a permit

If you are not allowed to get a permit you will be told why.

Special permits

It can take longer than three months to get a permit for any of these parks or reserves:

Last updated: 03 October 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!