N'Dhala Gorge Nature Park
N’Dhala Gorge is a cultural treasure with 6,000 individual petroglyphs, or rock carvings, found in 438 engraved sites along the main gorge and 240 engraved sites in the side gorge.
It is suggested that engraving occurred over two time periods.
The first was around 10,000 years ago and the second started about 3,000 years ago.
Anyone with an interest in Aboriginal art should visit the park.
The traditional owners, the local Arrernte people, ask that you respect the park and its artefacts.
There is a 1.5km, about a one hour return, walk through the gorge where you can see rare plants such as the Hayes wattle (Acacia undoolyana).
Bush sites are available for camping, but you must bring your own water and supplies.
Get the N’Dhala Gorge Nature Park fact sheet and map PDF, 561.41 KB .
All year round. It is best to visit during the cooler months between April to September.
The roads may close after heavy rain.
The park is accessible by four wheel drive (4WD) only.
The turn off to the park is 90km east of Alice Springs on the Ross Highway with 11km of 4WD track into the park.
N’Dhala Gorge Nature Park has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- 4WD roads
- fire pits
- public toilets
- picnic tables
- bush campsite
- walking tracks.
When visiting the page remember all of the following:
- stay on designated roads and tracks
- historic, cultural items and wildlife are protected
- firewood collection is not permitted in the park
- fires are only permitted in designated fire pits
- bins are not provided, so take your rubbish with you
- pets are not permitted in the conservation area
- generators are not permitted.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to N’Dhala Gorge Nature Park by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, suitable clothing and footwear
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- think about your health and fitness when choosing a walk.
Last updated: 07 March 2019