Limmen National Park
Limmen National Park is a favourite among self-reliant anglers and four-wheel drivers.
There's a community of travellers who come here annually, especially to catch barramundi.
It's perfect for visitors looking for a remote experience in an amazing landscape.
This park has many land and water attractions and is located in the Gulf region of the Northern Territory (NT).
You should bring your walking boots to see the striking sandstone formations of the Southern Lost City and Western Lost City . You will need a code to get in.
Bird watching enthusiasts can discover extensive birdlife along the rivers and lagoons, while swimmers can head to Butterfly Falls to cool off.
Butterfly Falls is seasonal and can stop flowing in the Dry Season so you may not be able to swim all year round.
Get the Limmen National Park fact sheet and map .
Phone: (08) 8975 9940
|Park sites||Access||Comments||Forecast opening|
|Limmen National Park||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Port Roper Road||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Nathan River Road||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Ryans Bend Road||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Butterfly Falls||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Southern Lost City||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Western Lost City||Closed||Closed due to seasonal conditions.||Anticipated opening May 2020, dependent on weather conditions|
|Munbililla – Tomato Island||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
|Towns River Public Boat Ramp, corner of The Savannah Way||Open||High-clearance 4WD only||NA|
Seasonal closures. The park may close due to flooding in the Wet Season.
You can do all of the following activities in the park:
- four-wheel driving
- wildlife spotting
- visit Aboriginal sites.
Limmen National Park has all of the following facilities:
- information signs and display
- ranger station
- four-wheel drive track
- fire pit
- drinking water
- public toilets
- picnic area
- walking tracks.
- put your rubbish in the bin or take it with you
- cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- don't use soaps and detergents near waterways
- be careful with fire and light fires only in fireplaces provided
- camp only in marked camping areas
- collect fallen timber for firewood on the way to your picnic or campsite
- chainsaws are not permitted in the park
- follow fishing laws
- quad and trail bikes are not permitted off-road in the park
- only use generators between 7.30am to 8.30pm.
- make sure your vehicle is well-maintained and equipped and take enough fuel
- stay on marked roads and tracks
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- do not swim anywhere but Butterfly Falls - there are saltwater crocodiles in all other waterways in Limmen National Park so Be Crocwise at all times.
Phone: 08 8975 9940
Last updated: 07 March 2019