Caranbirini Conservation Reserve
If you're in the Gulf region, don't miss a visit to Caranbirini.
Within the reserve, clusters of weathered sandstone pillars, some as high as 25 m, make up the spectacular Lost City.
There are three walks to choose from depending on your level of fitness.
If you're a keen bird watcher take the Caranbirini Waterhole walk and you can see plenty of kingfishers, herons and brolgas.
The waterhole also provides traditional food for the Gadanji people with mussels, waterlilies and turtles.
The landscapes around you tell the dreaming story of the Barrawulla, the white cockatoo, and Jagududgu, the emu.
All year round, but you cannot camp overnight.
Take the Carpentaria Highway and travel 46 km south-west of Borroloola or 64 km east of Cape Crawford.
A 500 m formed gravel road suitable for two wheel drive vehicles leads to the car park.
You can do all of the following activities in the reserve:
- bush walking
- bird watching.
Caranbirini has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- picnic area
- walking tracks
- scenic lookout.
When visiting the park, remember all of the following:
- a permit is required for drone use - conditions apply and it must be obtained prior to your arrival in the park
- generators are not permitted
- camping is not permitted in the Reserve
- temperatures can reach over 40ºC so take water and wear suitable protective clothing
- put your rubbish in the bin or take it with you
- cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted in the reserve
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- check your vehicle is not transporting pests like weeds and cane toads.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Caranbirini Conservation Reserve by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- wear suitable clothing and footwear
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity in the heat of the day.
Phone: 08 8975 8792
Last updated: 21 September 2020
Share this page: