Douglas River and Daly River Conservation Areas
If you're a keen camper it's likely you'll want to stay longer at the peaceful Douglas River and Daly River Conservation areas campsite.
There is a large camping area and waterfront bush sites where you will see plenty of agile wallabies and other native wildlife.
Douglas River has a variety of walks that track along the shady pools and sandy beaches.
Don't miss the short trip to the Merrepen Art Centre at Naiuyu if you love Aboriginal art.
Make sure you use insect repellent.
Pets are not permitted in the conservation area.
Phone: (08) 8978 2479 or (08) 8976 0282
|Park sites||Access||Comments||Forecast opening|
|Douglas River/Daly River Esplanade Conservation Area||Check access with tourist park.||Access via Douglas caravan park. 4WD recommended as only camps one to seven are 2WD. Camps eight to nine are 4WD only. Bookings to camp can be made at Douglas Daly Tourist Park: (08) 8978 2497 .||NA|
Travel 200km south along the Stuart Highway from Darwin, or 150km north from Katherine.
Turn off at Dorat Road and follow signs and Oolloo Road to the conservation area.
Douglas / Daly River Conservation Area has all of the following facilities:
- fire pits
- picnic tables
- drinking water
- public toilets
When visiting the park remember all of the following:
- take your rubbish with you as there are no bins in the area
- stay on marked tracks and roads
- cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted in the park
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- use fuel stoves if possible
- be careful with fire, keep campfires small and only light fires in the fireplaces provided
- collect fallen timber only
- don't use soaps or detergent in or near waterways
- only camp in numbered sites - each site has a maximum capacity
- don't clear vegetation to make your camp
- some sites are closed every year to help revegetation
- bury toilet waste 15cm deep at least 100m from the river
- check your vehicle is not transporting pests like weeds and cane toads.
Have a safe and comfortable trip to Douglas / Daly River Conservation Areas by doing all of the following:
- there are saltwater crocodiles in all waterways - do not swim and Be Crocwise at all times
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- wear suitable clothing and footwear
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- make sure your vehicle is well-maintained and equipped
- check Wet Season road conditions by calling 1800 246 199.
Phone: 08 8976 0282.
Last updated: 22 November 2018