Connells Lagoon Conservation Reserve
Connells Lagoon Conservation Reserve is in the heart of the Barkly Tableland.
It is the only reserve in Australia established primarily for the conservation of Mitchell grassland.
It is home to several of Australia's rare and endangered birds including the flock bronzewing pigeon, pictorella mannikin finch, red-chested button-quail and the Australian bustard.
A major biological survey in the region carried out in 1982 found 189 species of plants, which is surprisingly rich for the area.
At the time, nine mammal, 53 bird and 19 reptile species were also recorded in or near the reserve.
Ranger Station phone: (08) 8962 4599
|Park sites||Access||Comments||Forecast opening|
|Connells Lagoon Conservation Reserve||Open||Access to Connells Lagoon Conservation reserve is often inaccessible after heavy rainfall in the area .||NA|
All year round, but roads may close after heavy rain.
It is best to visit during the cooler months from April to September.
The reserve is between Brunette Downs and Alexandria Station via an unsealed road, which is accessible by 2WD vehicles.
You can go four-wheel driving and wildlife spotting at the reserve.
Connells Lagoon Conservation Reserve has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- 4WD track – to access the plants and animals.
When visiting the park, remember all of the following:
- stay on designated roads and tracks
- historic, cultural items and wildlife are protected
- fires are not permitted in the reserve
- bins are not provided, so take your rubbish with you
- pets are not permitted in this reserve
- camping is not permitted
- generators are not permitted.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Connells Lagoon Conservation Reserve by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, suitable clothing and footwear
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- think about your health and fitness when choosing a walk.
Last updated: 03 December 2018