Higher education scholarships

When you can apply

Applications for 2018 higher education study scholarships have now closed.

You can apply for the next round in December 2018.

Who can apply

You can apply for a Northern Territory (NT) higher education scholarship if you:

  • are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • are an NT resident and are enrolled to study your first undergraduate degree in the NT*
  • finished Year 12 in 2016 or 2017
  • completed the NT Certificate of Education and Training (NTCET) or equivalent and received an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) / IB
  • scored 80 or above in your ATAR / IB
  • are enrolled to study full-time of four units per semester or equivalent
  • are not working full-time.

*If you are enrolled to study interstate, the awarding panel, department and Charles Darwin University will check if the course is significantly different to what is available in the NT. This will be used to determine your eligibility for the scholarship.

Who can't apply

You can't apply for a higher education scholarship if you:

  • work for an Australian, state or territory government
  • plan to work full-time during your studies
  • are completing a traineeship or apprenticeship
  • have enrolled to study interstate when the course you wish to study is offered in the NT. This includes double degrees that are available separately in the NT.
  • receive a scholarship, bursary, stipend or funding from another source, excluding:
    • Australian Government Youth Allowance and Abstudy
    • one-off merit scholarships paid in one year or less
    • access and equity grants
    • subsidies and grants not paid to you directly, like an accommodation scholarship or textbook bursary.

How to apply

Scholarships are now closed.

How your application is assessed

Applications are assessed by a panel. The top 40 highest ranked eligible applicants will be awarded a higher education scholarship by ATAR.

If your application is successful

If your application is successful you will need to sign a deed of agreement confirming you will continue to meet the scholarship criteria and terms. This is a legally binding agreement.

Students need to provide an email to receive notifications and attachments on their application.

Your scholarship can only be used for the approved course and institution shown on the deed.

Students may be requested to assist with media promotion of the scholarship scheme throughout the term.

You must complete a survey at 6 and 12 months on completion of your studies.

How your scholarship is paid

Your scholarship is paid for the minimum time it takes to complete your course at the full-time study load of four units per semester or equivalent.

If you have chosen to do a double degree it will be paid at the minimum time it will take to complete one qualification of full-time study.

The $5,000 scholarship is paid in two instalments of $2,500 at the beginning of each semester.

Payments will be made by electronic transfer to your nominated bank account.

At the end of each semester, you must provide the scholarships administrator with:

  • proof of an academic transcript of your results
  • confirmation of enrolment in the next semester showing the units enrolled in and the study load.

These documents need to have the name of the university, your name and the degree name on them.

You won't receive any payments unless you do this within 21 days after receiving your results.

You must provide the scholarships administrator with a copy of your results at the end of your final semester to acquit the scholarship.

Academic progress, study load and conduct

To continue to receive your scholarship, you must:

  • be enrolled as a full-time student at all times during the academic year
  • attend classes that align with your course requirements
  • meet your institution's requirements regarding academic progress and conduct
  • complete four units per semester or equivalent - your scholarship will end if you fail four or more units during the course
  • follow reasonable directions given by your institution's staff members and officials
  • not accept any other ongoing scholarship
  • notify the scholarships administrator if your address, telephone, email or bank details change.

Changing your course or enrolment

You must tell the scholarships administrator in writing before you make any changes to your course or enrolment.

The scholarships administrator will determine if you are still eligible for the scholarship and if it should be continued, suspended or ceased.

If your change meets the terms and conditions of the scholarship, you must do the following:

  • send in a copy of the previous semester's results
  • forward a copy of the enrolment confirmation
  • provide written confirmation of any credit transfers you will receive to the new course.

Changing your course can affect the duration of the scholarship.

Deferring your studies

This scholarship cannot be deferred.


During the semester you may work part-time if it does not interfere with studies. You can work full-time or part-time during vacations.

This scholarship does not guarantee employment by the Northern Territory Government on completion of the course. On graduation, you may apply for vacancies in the Northern Territory Public Sector. Your application will be subject to normal recruitment practices.

If your application is not successful

If you did not receive a scholarship and believe your application should be reviewed, you may apply to the executive director of Workforce NT within seven days of receiving the decision.

You must make a written application for a review and include any supporting information.

The executive director will review the decision and may uphold, amend or overturn it. The decision made following the review is final and cannot be further reviewed.

Contact the scholarships administrator

For more information, contact the Workforce NT scholarships administrator by calling 08 8935 7707 or emailing scholarships@nt.gov.au.

All correspondence and notifications will be sent via email.


Last updated: 14 December 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.