Work during your university break

The vacation program provides paid short-term employment for university students.

Employment is during semester breaks.

If you will graduate soon you can find out about starting your career in government.

What jobs are available

Positions can range from administrative to fieldwork in a range of government departments throughout the Northern Territory.

Wages start at the administrative officer 1 level.

You will gain skills such as:

  • database maintenance
  • communications
  • research
  • working with legislation
  • event coordination.

How to apply

Applications open twice a year to correspond with the mid-year and end of year university breaks.

The 2019 end of year intake opens 22 July and closes 23 August 2019.

Apply on the Northern Territory Government jobs website. Find the program details by searching for 'vacation'.

You will need to attach all of the below to your application.

  • A resume with two referees.
  • Your most recent Australian University results.
  • Proof of enrolment either side of the semester break.
  • Any previous qualifications you have completed.
  • Proof of an appropriate visa if you aren't a permanent resident or Australian citizen.


Call 08 8999 4164 or email

Last updated: 14 June 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.