Financial help for isolated students
Isolated students education allowance for boarding institutions
The isolated students education allowance helps with:
- supervised educational opportunities including homework supervision
- recreational and social development.
It is paid direct to boarding facilities.
The allowance can't be used to offset the cost of boarding accommodation.
Who can apply
Eligible boarding facilities must be:
- based in the Northern Territory (NT)
- offering specific assistance to boarding students in the areas of homework supervision and recreational and social development.
The funding can only be used for students who meet all of the following conditions:
- are attending an NT primary, middle or senior school
- have a custodial parent or guardian that is a resident of the NT
- have been approved for Basic Boarding Allowance under the Australian Government’s Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme.
How to apply
Boarding facilities must submit a claim form each semester by the following dates:
- semester 1 claims due by 5 July
- semester 2 claims due by 20 December.
The following supporting information must be submitted with each claim:
- the student’s current AIC Basic Boarding Allowance statement
- attendance details for each student in the format specified by the department.
The maximum amount paid per school year to a boarding facility is $3,462 in 2022.
The amount is reviewed and adjusted annually based on the consumer price index.
Last updated: 13 October 2022
Share this page:URL copied!