Remote secondary school choices

This page has information about secondary school options for students in remote Indigenous communities.

When your child reaches Year 8 any of the following options are available:

  • stay in their community and continue their schooling
  • move to a regional high school with access to regional residential facilities
  • move to a boarding facility in Darwin or Alice Springs
  • move to an interstate boarding school.

Staying in the community

If your child stays in the community they will continue their schooling at the local school.

The focus will be on post primary literacy and numeracy and an employment pathways program may be offered which will provide skills for your child to gain employment.

Regional high schools with residential facilities

If your child goes to a regional high school in Katherine, Tennant Creek, or Nhulunbuy they will stay in a residential facility close to the high school and benefit from a full secondary education with the support of the Northern Territory School of Distance Education.

Boarding schools in Darwin and Alice Springs

If your child goes to a boarding school in Darwin or Alice Springs they will have access to a full secondary education and the resources of an urban secondary school.

Interstate boarding schools

Students have the option to attend an interstate boarding school.

Transitioning to a secondary school option

There is a range of support in place to assist you and your child as they transition to secondary school.

You can access any of the following:

  • help with deciding which secondary school option is right for your child
  • help if your child goes to a regional high school or boarding school
  • scholarships and other financial assistance.

Help choosing a secondary option

Your child's school and staff from the Transition Support Unit will discuss the secondary options with you and your child and help you to decide which option is best.

Moving to a regional high school or boarding school

If your child decides to go to a regional high school with residential facilities or boarding school, staff from the Transition Support Unit can provide support.

This support may include any of the following:

  • facilitate visits for you and your child to the school before your child enrols
  • help with travel to and from school
  • facilitate visits for you when your child starts school
  • help with school uniform and other school material
  • help to access financial assistance that may be available including scholarships.

Scholarship opportunities

If your child decides to go to an interstate boarding school they may be eligible for a scholarship to assist with the cost.

Talk to your child's teacher or a member of the Transition Support Unit about scholarships.

Other financial assistance

You may be eligible for financial help for any of the following:

  • getting to and from school
  • school uniform, books and other school materials
  • sending your child to a regional high school or boarding school
  • visiting your child at regional high school or boarding school.

Read more about financial assistance.


You can contact the Transition Support Unit by either:

Last updated: 04 February 2019

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.