Buying an existing food business

There are rules you must follow when buying an existing food business in the Northern Territory (NT).

Before you buy

You should do the all of the following before purchasing an existing food business:

  • get a release of information form from the existing business proprietor
  • contact your local Environmental Health officer to arrange an inspection
  • comply with other requirements as advised by the officer.

Register as a food business

If you purchase a food business, you must register as a food business.

Registration from the previous proprietor is not transferable.

Go to register a food business for more information.

Licences and permits

Commercial visitor accommodation

There are specific licence requirements for:

  • existing businesses operating as commercial visitor accommodation
  • and new businesses that wish to offer accommodation.

Processing or selling fish

If the business you buy processes or sells fish, you will need to fill in an application for a fish retailer licence form.

Go to the Australian Business Licence and Information Service website to get a form.

Footpath cafés

If the business you buy will have tables and chairs placed on the footpath, you may need to fill in a separate application.

You will need to contact your local council for more information.

Selling alcohol

If the business you buy sells alcohol, you will need to apply for a liquor licence.

Last updated: 21 September 2015

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!