Buying an existing food business
There are rules you must follow when buying an existing food business in the Northern Territory (NT).
Before you buy
You should do the all of the following before purchasing an existing food business:
- get a release of information form from the existing business proprietor
- contact your local Environmental Health officer to arrange an inspection
- comply with other requirements as advised by the officer.
Register as a food business
If you purchase a food business, you must register as a food business.
Registration from the previous proprietor is not transferable.
Go to register a food business for more information.
Licences and permits
Commercial visitor accommodation
There are specific licence requirements for:
- existing businesses operating as commercial visitor accommodation
- and new businesses that wish to offer accommodation.
Processing or selling fish
If the business you buy processes or sells fish, you will need to fill in an application for a fish retailer licence form.
Go to the Australian Business Licence and Information Service website to get a form.
If the business you buy will have tables and chairs placed on the footpath, you may need to fill in a separate application.
You will need to contact your local council for more information.
If the business you buy sells alcohol, you will need to apply for a liquor licence.
Last updated: 21 September 2015
Share this page:URL copied!