Buying an existing food business
There are rules you must follow when buying an existing food business in the Northern Territory (NT).
Before you buy
Before buying an existing food business, you should do the all of the following:
- get a completed release of information form from the existing business proprietor
- contact your local Environmental Health officer to arrange an inspection
- comply with other requirements as advised by the officer.
Register as a food business
If you buy a food business, you must register as a food business.
Registration from the previous proprietor is not transferable.
Find out how to register a food business.
Licences and permits
Commercial visitor accommodation
There are specific licence requirements for:
- existing businesses operating as commercial visitor accommodation
- and new businesses that wish to offer accommodation.
Processing or selling fish
If the business you buy processes or sells fish, you will need to fill in an application for a fish retailer licence form.
To get a form, go to the Australian Business Licence and Information Service website.
If the business you buy will have tables and chairs placed on the footpath, you may need to fill in a separate application.
For more information, contact your local council.
If the business you buy sells alcohol, you will need to apply for a liquor licence.
Last updated: 07 June 2022
Share this page:URL copied!