Non-pastoral use of pastoral land

Non-pastoral use (NPU) permits enable you to use part of your pastoral lease to create alternative streams of revenue.

If you are a pastoral lessee, you can apply for permits to use part of your lease for:

  • agriculture
  • horticulture
  • aquaculture
  • tourism
  • forestry
  • station store or roadhouse
  • commercial accommodation.

A NPU permit can be:

  • approved for up to 30 years
  • renewed up to two years before permit expiry
  • renewed for up to 30 years
  • transferred with the sale or transfer of the pastoral lease.

Pastoral lessees holding a NPU permit can apply to the Minister to sublease the NPU area. A sublease can be registered on title and is transferable at sale.

Applications for a NPU permit are determined by the Pastoral Land Board Board (PLB) in line with the Pastoral Land Act 1992.

Land Development Coordination (LDC) within the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, coordinates the assessment process on behalf of the PLB. They can provide information about how to apply.


The Northern Territory non-pastoral use guidelines PDF (146.4 KB) will tell you:

  • when you need a NPU permit
  • when you don't need a NPU permit e.g pastoral purposes
  • the assessment process
  • matters the PLB must consider when determining your application.


Assessment of a NPU application will take approximately six months.

If your proposed NPU activity requires clearing of native vegetation and/or is for an irrigated land use, you will need to apply for:

  • pastoral land clearing (PLC) permit
  • water extraction licence (WEL).

If you have an existing PLC permit, you may need to apply to vary it.

For simple proposals you can lodge the following applications at the same time:

  • PLC
  • NPU
  • WEL.

For complex proposals, you must lodge a WEL first.

For more information, read the timeframes for WEL, PLC and NPU permits flowchart PDF (3.3 MB).

How to apply

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

To apply for a NPU permit, follow these steps:

Step 1. Discuss your proposal with LDC and confirm if a permit is needed.

Step 2. Fill in the forms.

Step 3. Prepare other supporting items, including field and spatial data e.g. shapefile of the proposed NPU extent.

Step 4. Submit your draft application and supporting information to LDC.

LDC will do a pre-lodgement review.

Step 5. When you receive confirmation that your application is ready to be formally lodged you must:

  • pay the fee
  • forward confirmation of payment to the LDC.

The steps in the NPU application assessment process are outlined in the NPU application assessment process flowchart PDF (242.9 KB).

Permit variation

You may be able to apply for a variation to an existing NPU permit.

Contact the LDC for advice.

Further information

Find out more about soil, land and vegetation mapping, or go to the NR Maps website.

Read about crop types and potential markets on the Department of Primary Industry and Resources website.


For more information about non-pastoral use, contact LDC by calling 08 8999 4454 or email

Last updated: 06 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.