Diversify your land: non-pastoral use permits

Non-pastoral use (NPU) permits allow you to use part of your pastoral lease to create alternative streams of revenue.

Pastoral lessees can apply for permits to use parts of their lease for:

  • agriculture
  • horticulture
  • aquaculture
  • tourism
  • forestry.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and Department of Primary Industry and Resources (DPIR) can provide you with advice on:

  • land suitability
  • crops
  • potential markets.

A NPU permit can be:

  • approved for up to 30 years
  • renew up to two years before expiry
  • renewed for up to 30 years.

A NPU permit is transferable with the sale or transfer of a pastoral lease.

Pastoral lessees that hold a NPU permit can apply to the Minister for Environment and Natural Resources to sublease the area under section 68 of the Pastoral Land Act 1992.

A sublease can be registered on title and is transferable at sale.

Applications for a NPU permit are determined by the Pastoral Land Board in accordance with the Pastoral Land Act 1992.

The Land Development Coordination Branch within DENR coordinates the application assessment process on behalf of the board.

Read the application assessment process in the non-pastoral use application assessment process flowchart PDF (242.9 KB).

How to apply

To apply for a NPU permit follow these steps.

Step 1. Read the guidelines and discuss your proposal with the Land Development Coordination Branch.

Step 2. Fill in the forms.

Step 3. Attach supporting documents to the application.

Step 4. Submit your application.

You must include any supporting documentation and spatial data such as a shapefile of the proposed NPU location and extent.

The Land Development Coordination Branch will do a pre-lodgement review.

Step 5. When you receive confirmation that your application is ready to be formally lodged you must:

  • pay the fee
  • forward confirmation of payment to the Land Development Coordination Branch.

Further information

Last updated: 06 May 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.