Yirrkala is located on the eastern side of Arnhem Land on the Gove Peninsula, about 700 kilometres east of Darwin and 35 kilometres south-east from the mining township Nhulunbuy (Gove).
It has a population of 934 residents.
2017 jobs profile
The 2017 profile highlights:
- there were 306 filled jobs, of which:
- 171 jobs (56%) were filled by Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of 58 jobs from 2014
- 135 jobs (44%) were filled by non-Aboriginal peoples, a decrease of seven jobs from 2014
- 41% of employed Aboriginal peoples are working in the private sector
- Aboriginal peoples accounted for 56% of job holders in the town compared to 59% in 2014
- Aboriginal females made up 43% of total Aboriginal filled jobs in the town compared to 56% in 2014
- there were 34 vacant jobs, of which:
- job vacancies as a percentage of jobs increased to 10% in 2017 from 8% in 2014
- job vacancies equate to one in 10 jobs
- 24 of the vacancies were in community and personal service works and professional areas.
- Construction was the largest industry employer in 2017 with also the highest increase in filled jobs of 142 between 2017 and 2014.
- Education and training was the second highest industry employer in 2017, despite having a decrease of 59 filled jobs between 2017 and 2014.
- Public administration and safety had the largest decrease in filled jobs of 114 between 2017 and 2014.
- Training had an increase in student numbers between 2016 and 2013.
- Primary industry was the largest training activity sector in 2016, with student numbers of 96. It also had the largest increase in student numbers of 70 between 2016 and 2013.
Read the full 2017 job profile report for Yirrkala.
Past job profiles
The community workplace planning guide consists of tools and resources to assist service providers to overcome workforce challenges in remote Aboriginal communities. Find out more about remote community workforce plans.
The community workplace planning guide can be used with the workforce planning template for Yirrkala . This template is populated with data from the 2014 remote town job profiles.
Last updated: 07 November 2018
Share this page:URL copied!