Golf buggy exemption

You don't need to register a golf buggy in the Northern Territory (NT) if you're only driving it within a golf course area. 

This includes driving the golf buggy in any of the following places:

  • a car park attached to a golf course
  • crossing a public street or a road within the same golf course
  • a footpath, shared path or public thoroughfare within the same golf course.

You should also follow the golf course or land owner's rules.

You must not travel along any roads other than those listed above.  

Who can drive a golf buggy

To drive a golf buggy you must hold a driver licence. 

Any restrictions on your licence apply when you drive your golf buggy, including blood alcohol restrictions.

Your golf buggy and trailer must be:

  • safe and in sound mechanical condition
  • used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Golf buggy owners should have insurance.

For more information read the golf buggy exemption information bulletin PDF (364.1 KB).

Last updated: 17 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.