Buy an abandoned vehicle
If you're planning to buy an abandoned vehicle, there are steps you must follow to transfer it into your name.
Before you begin
The seller must have completed all the requirements under the Uncollected Goods Act 2004.
At the time of purchase, the seller must provide you with:
- a copy of the R33 receipt under the Uncollected Goods Act and
- supporting documents that shows their proof of ownership or authority to sell the vehicle.
The Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) office may ask you to supply additional documents to support your application.
How to apply
To apply, follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the R11 apply to register a vehicle in the NT or transfer an NT registered vehicle form .
Step 2. Submit the application and supporting documents in person at an MVR office, including your:
Step 3. Pay the following:
- transfer of ownership fee
- stamp duty - find out how much you need to pay through the vehicle stamp duty calculator
- number plate fee - if the vehicle requires new number plates.
If the vehicle is unregistered, you must also pay the vehicle registration fee.
You can pay your fees by cash, cheque, EFTPOS, BasicsCard, Visa or MasterCard.
Buy an abandoned vehicle left in a public place
The competent authority will need to give the buyer a:
- receipt of sale or
- proof of ownership document.
This will allow the MVR to transfer the vehicle into the buyer's name.
Last updated: 12 October 2021
Share this page:URL copied!