Bus and taxi assistance
This page provides information on using buses and taxis in the Northern Territory (NT) with a disability.
There are two financial assistance schemes you can apply for:
- taxi subsidy scheme.
- lift incentive scheme.
For more information, read about transport subsidy and incentive schemes.
NT public buses have an easy-access low floor and are fitted with ramps that provide access for standard wheelchairs and light weight mobility aids.
These buses have all of the following:
- a driver activated manual ramp
- footpath 'kneeling' action to bring the floor closer to ground level and reduce the angle between the floor and the footpath, improving wheelchair and pram access
- handrails and bus stop button to assist the mobility of passengers with a disability
- room for two wheelchairs or prams in the priority seating areas
- a special button in the priority seating area to enable those with limited upper body strength to signal when it is their stop
- skid-resistant flooring in the priority seating area to reduce the amount of movement of wheelchairs while the bus is in motion.
Before using a public bus, you must check whether your wheelchair or mobility aid meets the size restrictions. Find out more about buses and mobility aids.
You must also follow bus safety rules.
Last updated: 16 November 2020
Share this page: