Buying and selling a heavy vehicle

If you are buying or selling a heavy vehicle, you must transfer the registration from the previous owner to the new owner's name.

If you're the buyer

You can transfer the registration of a heavy vehicle to your name if you are:

Before you start

The buyer is responsible for paying the transfer of ownership fee and any other charges.

The buyer must also:

  • notify the MVR of the new nominated operator
  • remove the former nominated operator from the vehicle's record.

The buyer must fill in the R13 application to nominate the operator of a vehicle form PDF (886.9 KB) and submit this form to the MVR.

Only one person or representative of a body corporate can be recorded as being the nominated operator and they must be nominated by the registered owner.

Where a heavy vehicle is registered in joint names or a body corporate, only one person can be nominated as the nominated operator - even though the joint parties or body corporate may be the legal owners.

You will need:

How to transfer

You can submit the above completed forms and pay the transfer of ownership fee and other charges at an MVR office.

You can also submit by emailing to or mailing to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard by calling 1300 654 628.

If you're the seller

When selling a vehicle, the registered owner must lodge a notice of disposal to MVR within 14 days of sale.

A notice of disposal can be either:

The notice must include the following information:

  • the full name and address of the buyer, which may be a body corporate
  • buyer's date of birth - not required for a body corporate
  • the date of the sale or disposal of the vehicle
  • the price paid for the vehicle
  • the vehicle identification - including registration number, make, model, VIN/chassis number, engine number.

Both the buyer and the seller must sign the notice.

Any notice that has not been completed properly will be returned to the registered owner for correction. This means the registered owner (seller) may still be held responsible for the vehicle – including traffic infringements and demerit points – until the MVR accepts the notice of disposal.

How to transfer

You can submit the above completed forms to the MVR by email to or at an MVR office.

You can also mail your forms to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Last updated: 05 June 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!