Transfer your interstate or overseas licence

Changes to NT driver licences and photo ID cards

From November 2020, Northern Territory (NT) driver licences and all other photo ID cards issued by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) will change.

Read about these changes.

You must transfer your interstate or overseas driver licence within three months of living in the Northern Territory (NT).

To find out more about the three month rule, read about rules for new NT residents and visiting drivers.

Transfer an interstate licence

You can transfer your interstate licence in person at a Motor Vehicle Registry office (MVR) or go to an Australia Post Office that provides MVR driver licence and vehicle registration services.

You do not have to pay a fee to transfer your current interstate driver licence to the NT.

A fee does apply if you need to renew your licence as well.

How to transfer

If you have no conditions on your interstate licence, you can transfer it at Australia Post outlets. You must provide your current interstate licence and evidence of your NT residency.

Find out which documents you can use as evidence of your identity and residency.

If you have driving conditions, you will need to visit an MVR office. You will need to bring:

Any conditions imposed on your interstate licence will be transferred to your NT licence.

If your licence has an X condition on it, the MVR will need to do an interstate check before transferring your licence.

Transfer an overseas licence

You can transfer your overseas driver licence (Class C) or motorcycle licence (Class R) to the NT.

If you hold an overseas heavy vehicle licence, you will need to get an NT driver licence (Class C) before you can apply for an NT heavy vehicle licence. Find out more about how to get your heavy vehicle licence.

To transfer your overseas licence, you will need to visit an MVR office.

If your Class C driver licence is recognised, you will be able to transfer your licence without doing any tests.

To find out if your licence is recognised, see the following lists.


You can transfer your overseas licence to a full NT driver licence without doing a test if you are from one of these countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia
  • Canada
  • Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey)
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Herzegovina
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • The Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
  • Switzerland
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

If you are 25 years of age or older and hold a licence from one of the countries listed below, you can transfer your overseas licence without doing a test:

  • Bulgaria
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Hong Kong - must be held for at least 12 months to get a NT licence
  • Hungary
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Poland
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Republic of Korea (South Korea)
  • Republic of Serbia
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • Taiwan.

If your licence is recognised

If your licence is recognised, you will need all of the following:

If your country is not on these lists

If you do not hold a licence from one of the countries listed above, you will have to pass a driver theory test and driving test to get an NT driver licence.

You will need to do all of the following to transfer your licence:

  • provide a current overseas driver licence in English; or
  • provide a current overseas driver licence not in English and one of the following documents:
    • an international driving permit
    • an official translation of the overseas licence into English by an authorised translator
    • an original letter from the licensing authority in the country of origin
  • pass an eye test at a MVR office
  • pass a driver and / or riders knowledge test
  • pass a balance and stability test or pre-learner rider training course - motorcycle riders only
  • pass a practical driver and / or riders' driving test
  • pay a licence fee.

You also need to submit proof of identity and residency and fill in a licence form PDF (292.2 KB).

You will be issued with an interim licence so you can undertake a practical driving and/or riding test. Once you have been issued with an interim licence in the NT, your overseas licence is invalid for use in Australia.

After you receive your interim licence, you will need to pass a practical test to get your Class C NT driver licence.

You may receive a provisional licence if the MVR can't determine that you have held your overseas licence for:

  • two years if you are under the age of 25, or
  • one year if you are 25 years of age or older.

Transfer an NT licence to interstate

If you transfer your NT licence to another state or territory, it will be cancelled after you have been issued with your new licence.

You cannot claim a refund for an NT licence that has been cancelled and transferred.

Last updated: 06 October 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.