Transfer your interstate licence

You must transfer your interstate driver licence within three months of living in the Northern Territory (NT).

To find out more about the three month rule, read driver licence rules for new NT residents.

You don't have to pay a fee to transfer your current interstate driver licence to the NT.

If you need to renew your licence, you must pay a fee.

How to transfer

If you have no conditions on your interstate licence, you can transfer it at an Australia Post Office that provides MVR services.

If you have driving conditions, you must visit an MVR office.

When you apply, you must provide:

Any conditions imposed on your interstate licence will be transferred to your NT licence.

If your licence has an X condition on it, the MVR will need to do an interstate check before transferring your licence.

Transferring your NT licence interstate

If you transfer your NT licence to another state or territory, it will be cancelled after you have been issued with your new licence.

You can't claim a refund for an NT licence that has been cancelled and transferred.


If you have any questions, email or call 1300 654 628.

Last updated: 05 February 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!