Find out about a previous adoption in the NT

You can find out about a previous adoption from the Adoption Unit of Territory Families if:

  • you were legally adopted
  • had a child adopted or
  • had a family member adopted in the Northern Territory (NT).

This is a free service.

The family information service in the Adoption Unit can provide information, support and if needed, mediation between parties.

Before you're given any identifying information, you must receive counselling.

The Births, Deaths and Marriages office can only provide information if they have authorisation from the Adoption Unit.

How to apply

To apply, follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the form

You must fill in the:

Family information service application form PDF (148.3 KB)

Family information service application form DOCX (61.5 KB).

Step 2. Attach supporting documents

You must also attach two forms of photo identification and proof of address with the form.

You can use any of the following:

  • driver licence
  • passport
  • pension card
  • student ID card
  • Medicare card
  • credit card.

Any copies must be certified by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths.

Step 3. Submit the form

Submit the form by mail or email to the Adoption Unit.


For more information, contact the Adoption Unit.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 23 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!