Adopting a stepchild

If you wish to adopt your partner’s child, it's best to get legal advice from a lawyer who specialises in family law. You should then contact the Adoption Unit.

Children over 12 years old must give their consent to the adoption.

You, your partner and the child must be residents of the Northern Territory.

You or your partner must be all of the following:

  • in a married or de-facto relationship
  • over 25
  • an Australian citizen
  • no more than 40 years older than the child.

Exceptional circumstances can be considered.

Consent must be given by the relinquishing parent if they are listed on the birth certificate, and in other exceptional circumstances.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 22 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.