National Disability Insurance Scheme: NDIS
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is a new, national approach to provide you with support if you have a disability or condition that is likely to be permanent, or a development delay that affects your ability to participate in everyday activities.
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) is rolling out the NDIS in the Northern Territory (NT). It began with the Barkly region in July 2016.
In January 2017 the rollout will start in the East Arnhem region, as well as for Darwin supported accommodation services.
In July 2017 the rollout will start in the Darwin remote and Katherine regions, as well as for Alice Springs supported accommodation services.
In July 2018 the final stage of the rollout will start for the Darwin urban, Central Australia and Alice Springs regions.
For more information about the NT rollout go to the NDIS in the NT page on the National Disability Insurance Scheme website.
Eligibility for the NDIS
To see if you meet the requirements to join the NDIS go to the NDIS Access Checklist on the National Disability Insurance Scheme website.
The NDIS website also has information on residency, disability and early intervention criteria.
The NDIS funds reasonable and necessary supports that help you achieve your goals and aspirations, increase your independence and participate in the social and economic life of your community.
The NDIA will speak with you about what is reasonable and necessary, based on legislation, rules and guidelines.
- be related to your disability
- not include day-to-day living costs that are not related to your disability support needs
- represent value for money
- be likely to be effective and beneficial to you
- take into account informal supports given to you by families, carers, networks and the community.
Funded supports can include:
- daily personal activities
- transport to allow you to participate in community, social, economic and daily life activities
- workplace help to allow you to successfully get or keep employment in the open or supported labour market
- therapeutic supports, including behaviour support
- help with household tasks to help you maintain your home environment
- help from skilled personnel in aids or equipment assessment, set up and training
- home modification design and construction
- mobility equipment
- vehicle modifications.
Support will not be funded if any of the following:
- it is not related to your disability
- it is the same as other supports already funded by a different mechanism through the NDIS
- it relates to day-to-day living costs that are not related to your support needs
- it is likely to cause harm to you or pose a risk to others.
For more information about reasonable and necessary supports go to the National Disability Insurance Scheme website.
The NT Government is responsible for assessing providers wishing to be a registered provider of NDIS supports or products in the NT.
The Northern Territory Quality and Safeguarding Framework provides an interim pathway to allow providers to achieve registration with the NDIA.
Get the NT Quality and Safeguarding Framework from the Department of Health ePublications.
The NT provider assessment process will facilitate the NDIS registration of:
- existing providers who wish to continue to provide current support types
- existing providers who wish to expand their services into new support types
- new providers who wish to provide disability support.
The NT Government, with the support of the Australian Government, is undertaking a range of development activities to support service providers registering with the NDIA and to prepare for full scheme registration in 2019.
For more information about the NT NDIS registration process and provider development activities email the Office of Disability: email@example.com.
For more information about registering to provide services with the NDIA go to the National Disability Insurance Scheme website.
National Disability Insurance Agency
GPO Box 700
Canberra ACT 2601
Freecall: 1800 800 110
Other relevant contacts are on the National Disability Insurance Scheme website.
Office of Disability
Department of Health
PO Box 40596
Casuarina NT 0811
Phone: (08) 8999 2809
Last updated: 27 June 2017