Access to disability services in NT

To be eligible for disability services provided by the Office of Disability in the Northern Territory (NT) you must meet all of the following:

  • be an Australian citizen
  • be a permanent resident in the NT
  • have a disability as defined in the Disability Services Act
  • have a disability with a significant impact on the way you live, which needs ongoing support services
  • be aged under 65 (non-Indigenous) or under 50 (Indigenous)
  • not receive support from other states or territories
  • not have a disability that you can be compensated for or have an active compensation claim.

For more information freecall 1800 139 656 or visit your nearest Office of Disability.

Referrals to the Office of Disability

You can refer yourself to the Office of Disability, or someone can refer you on your behalf with your consent or your legal guardian's consent. 

Contact the Office of Disability to get a referral form and discuss what service you would like to refer yourself to and why. 

You may need supporting documentation from a health professional with your referral to show your eligibility for a service.

Intake process

Your referral will be reviewed by an intake panel for the team you are referring yourself to. 

The referrer will be advised of the outcome of your referral in writing. 

You or your referrer may be asked to provide more information in relation to your referral.

If your referral is declined, you can ask for the referral to be reviewed or submit more information to support your referral. If you are not sure of the outcome of your referral or how your referral is progressing, contact the Office of Disability.

You might be asked to do an eligibility assessment if the intake panel can't work out your eligibility. A health professional will meet with you to discuss your areas of difficulty.

Last updated: 17 November 2017


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.