Move or transfer public housing

Your housing needs can change while you are a tenant in public housing. 

You can apply to transfer from your current home to another one that better suits your needs.

Reasons to move

Reasons to move may include any of the following:

  • more people are living in your home
  • your home is affecting your health
  • you or your family are at risk of domestic or family violence. 

How to apply for a transfer

To transfer your public housing home you should follow these steps:

Step 1. Talk to your local housing office and explain the reasons you need to move.

Step 2. Fill in the housing application form, including part D - Request for priority housing or transfer.

Housing application form DOCX (146.1 KB)
Housing application form PDF (824.3 KB) 

Step 3. Provide photo identification, proof of income and assets for all tenants and household members 18 years old and over.

Step 4. Submit your form and documents to your local housing office


If a transfer is approved, you will be added to a waiting list for a home suitable to your needs. 

Transfer applications are treated in the same way as all other applications.


When the size of your household goes down you may be asked to transfer to another public housing property that better suits your new situation and entitlement. 

If you refuse the transfer request you may not have your fixed-term lease extended.

If you disagree with the decision you can appeal. 

Find out how to appeal a decision.

Last updated: 28 October 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!