Apply for public housing

Public housing wait times

Wait times for public housing vary, depending on each applicant's circumstances.

They are affected by a number of factors such as:

  • general demand for public housing
  • number of approved priority applications
  • availability and turnover of suitable homes in each location.

Below are the estimated waiting times for public housing as of 30 June 2019.

Region1 bedroom2 bedroom3 bedroom
Darwin/ Casuarina6 to 8 years2 to 4 years4 to 6 years
Palmerston4 to 6 yearsLess than 2 years2 to 4 years
Alice Springs4 to 6 years4 to 6 years4 to 6 years
Katherine6 to 8 years*4 to 6 years4 to 6 years
Nhulunbuy4 to 6 years4 to 6 years2 to 4 years
Tennant Creek6 to 8 yearsMore than 8 years*6 to 8 years

*Due to limited stock and turnover manual calculation is required.

Applications for public housing

If your application is successful, you will go on a wait list.

The wait list is produced in date order from when your application is received.

It includes general, priority and transfer applicants.

Below is the total number of current applications for urban public housing assistance as of 30 June 2019.

The number of priority applicants that account for this total is 1,354.

Region1 bedroom2 bedroom3+ bedroomTotal
Alice Springs4963053451146
Tennant Creek933565193

Public housing allocations

Allocations from the wait list are dependent on the availability of housing stock, which is generally linked to the number of tenancies leaving public housing.

The number of urban public housing allocations from 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019 is shown below.

Region1 bedroom2 bedroom3+ bedroomTotal
Darwin/ Casuarina69101159329
Alice Springs464557148
Tennant Creek601016

*This includes 318 internal transfers and 465 new households from the wait list during this period.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 24 July 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.