About occupancy certification

Occupancy certification in Tier 2 building control area

In Tier 2 building control areas the National Construction Code and technical requirements apply to all building work. Read more about building control areas.

To obtain a building permit, you must engage an NT registered building certifier.

You must also meet legal requirements for building contracts, registered building contractors and fidelity fund insurance for your work.

Full certification requirements apply to most building works in Tier 2 building control areas, including commercial premises and large residential developments. 

Part certification requirements apply in Tier 2 areas to prescribed residential building work only. 

Read more about the building certification process and engaging a building certifier.

Part certification for prescribed residential building work

Part certification applies to the following buildings in Tier 2 areas:

  • class 1a buildings such as a single dwelling or detached house, but it does not apply to class 1a(ii) buildings such as attached townhouses or duplexes which need full certification
  • class 10 buildings such as a garage, carport or shed, attached to and built at the same time as a class 1a building
  • retaining walls - whenever built - unattached to a class 1a or class 2 building but on which the integrity of such a building depends.

For part certification, you must still get a building permit before starting construction, but during construction, your building certifier does not need to conduct inspections. 

At completion of work, your building certifier cannot issue an occupancy permit but your builder does need to give you a builder's declaration which you must provide to your building certifier.

Approval to occupy prescribed residential building work in a Tier 2 building control area is satisfied on receipt of the builder's declaration.

Talk to your building certifier to find out if you need any prescribed certification documents for plumbing, glazing, electrical, termite treatment, prefabricated roof trusses, wet area sealing products, prefabricated window and door frames, and fire safety products or installations.

If a builder’s declaration is not available

If you are not able to obtain a builder’s declaration for prescribed residential building work in a Tier 2 area you must contact your building certifier to find out how you can get approval to occupy the building.

Extra assessments or documentation will be required for a certificate of substantial compliance or certificate of existence to be granted for the work.

An occupancy permit is not available for prescribed residential building work in a Tier 2 building control area.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 30 June 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!