Limmen National Park
Limmen National Park is a favourite among self-reliant anglers and four-wheel drivers.
There's a community of travellers who come here annually, especially to catch barramundi.
It's perfect for visitors looking for a remote experience in an amazing landscape.
This park has many land and water attractions and is located in the Gulf region of the Northern Territory (NT).
You should bring your walking boots to see the striking sandstone formations of the Southern Lost City and Western Lost City .
The Southern Lost City is open access but you will need a code to access the Western Lost City. You can get the code from the information centre at Nathan River Ranger Station.
Bird watching enthusiasts can discover extensive birdlife along the rivers and lagoons, while swimmers can head to Butterfly Falls to cool off.
Butterfly Falls is seasonal and can stop flowing in the dry season so you may not be able to swim all year round.
Get the Limmen National Park fact sheet and map .
Phone: 08 8975 9940
|Park sites||Status||Comments||Forecast opening|
|Limmen National Park||Open||4WD recommended||-|
|Port Roper Road||Open||-|
|Nathan River Road||Open||-|
|Ryans Bend Road||Open||-|
|Southern Lost City||Open||-|
|Western Lost City||Open||-|
|Munbililla – Tomato Island||Open||-|
|Towns River Public Boat Ramp, corner of The Savannah Way||Open||-|
|Towns River campground||Open||-|
|Limmen River campground||Open||-|
|Didi baba campground||Open||-|
|Mountain Creek campground||Open||-|
Seasonal closures. The park may close due to flooding in the Wet Season.
You can do all of the following activities in the park:
- four-wheel driving
- wildlife spotting
- visit Aboriginal sites.
Get the code to visit the Western Lost City from Nathan River Ranger Station.
Limmen National Park has all of the following facilities:
- information signs and display
- ranger station
- four-wheel drive track
- fire pit
- drinking water
- public toilets
- picnic area
- walking tracks.
- a permit is required for drone use - conditions apply and it must be obtained prior to your arrival in the park
- put your rubbish in the bin or take it with you
- cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- don't use soaps and detergents near waterways
- be careful with fire and light fires only in fireplaces provided
- camp only in marked camping areas
- collect fallen timber for firewood on the way to your picnic or campsite
- chainsaws are not permitted in the park
- follow fishing laws
- quad and trail bikes are not permitted off-road in the park
- only use generators between 7.30am to 8.30pm.
- make sure your vehicle is well-maintained and equipped and take enough fuel
- stay on marked roads and tracks
- use free interactive park maps on your mobile phone or tablet
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- do not swim anywhere but Butterfly Falls - there are saltwater crocodiles in all other waterways in Limmen National Park so Be Crocwise at all times.
Last updated: 01 March 2022
Share this page:URL copied!