Rules for pets in parks

You need permission to bring a domestic animal into parks in the Northern Territory (NT).

There are several parks where you can visit with your dog.

If you bring an animal into a park without permission, you may get an on-the-spot fine.

For more information about pets in NT parks and reserves read the information sheet (1.2 mb).

Where to walk dogs

There are parks throughout the Territory where you may visit with a dog.

Darwin region

You can walk your dog at these parks in the Darwin region:

  • George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens - signs show leash areas
  • Casuarina Coastal Reserve - signs show leash and leash-free areas
  • Charles Darwin National Park – walking tracks and carparks
  • Holmes Jungle Nature Park – walking tracks and carparks.

Alice Springs region

You can visit with your dog at Owen Springs Reserve. Dogs are allowed south of the Waterhouse Range and may camp with you at Redbank Waterhole campground.

Visitors with dogs must enter and exit through the southern entrance to the reserve.

Assistance animals

If you have a disability, you do not need a permit to bring an assistance animal into a park.

You will need to show the assistance animal’s identification if asked by a ranger.

The animal must be kept under control.

Hunting dogs

With a permit to hunt, dogs may be used in hunting reserves during the declared hunting season.

The permit to hunt includes permission to bring a firearm and a dog to a park.

You should keep dogs on a leash when you are not hunting.

The hunting reserves are:

  • Harrison Dam
  • Howard Springs Hunting Reserve
  • Shoal Bay Coastal Reserve
  • Lambells Lagoon.

Find out more about pig hunting in reserves.

Find out more about waterfowl hunting in reserves.

Other animals in parks

There are rules for taking horses, donkeys, mules, camels, or any other animals into NT parks and reserves.

Contact Parks and Wildlife NT
for more information.

Read more about Permits for pets in parks.

Last updated: 19 July 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.