Flying drones in parks

This page has information on the rules for flying drones in Northern Territory (NT) parks and reserves.

You need a permit to fly a drone in an NT park or reserve and must fly only at approved parks.

For more information about where you can fly your drone with a permit, go to the Flying Your Drone Information Sheet PDF (1023.0 KB). For application forms go to permits to use aircraft and drones in parks.

Rules for drones

With a permit, you can fly your drone in areas generally open to the public at approved parks, provided you follow these rules:

  • fly your drone in a way that does not annoy or create a hazard to park visitors, disturb wildlife or interfere with park management operations
  • fly your drone according to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) regulations - make sure you know and follow CASA’s drone flying rules for recreational drones
  • only fly your drone in your line-of-sight during daylight hours and don't let the drone get too far away from you
  • fly your drone to avoid crowded areas, including waterholes, campgrounds and picnic areas - do not fly within 200m or over these sites while they are in use,
  • avoid flying near staff houses, offices or workshops - do not fly within 200m or over these sites
  • elsewhere, fly more than 30m away from people, animals, vehicles, boats or buildings
  • fly no higher than 120m (400 feet) above ground level
  • fly in a way that does not create a hazard to other aircraft - keep at least 5.5km (3 nautical miles) away from an airport, airfield or helicopter landing site. This restriction affects many parks and reserves
  • seek consent before recording or photographing people and let them know if you wish to film from your drone - ask if they mind or wait until they go
  • you must not fly over or near an area during emergency operations - this includes accidents, bushfires, flood emergencies, police operations and search and rescue activities
  • if you wish to fly your drone for any commercial purpose or financial gain, you need a Commerce and trade permit and must notify CASA. This includes film and photography
  • you must stop flying your drone if Parks and Wildlife staff ask you to.

If you fail to stop flying your drone when asked to, you may be issued with a fine.

For more information contact the Parks and Wildlife Permits and Concessions Office.

Last updated: 01 March 2021

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.