Butterfly Gorge Nature Park
Butterfly Gorge is one of the few Northern Territory (NT) parks you may be lucky to experience and explore on your own.
It is a tranquil paradise tucked at the base of a low sandstone plateau.
The gorge is home to large numbers of common crow butterflies.
Walkers can traverse the park's rocky spinifex country along the access track into the gorge.
Swimmers can float in the main and upper pools.
The short swim and climb to the top pool is worth the effort.
Butterfly Gorge protects part of the Douglas River and while camping is not allowed in the park, you can camp at the nearby Tjuwaliyn (Douglas) Hot Springs or Douglas River Esplanade Conservation Area.
Caravans are not permitted in the park.
Travel 200km south along the Stuart Highway from Darwin, or 150km north from Katherine and turn onto Dorat Road. Then turn onto Oolloo Road and follow the signs to the park.
The last 17km into the park is a four wheel drive (4WD) track and is not suitable for caravans.
You can do all of the following activities in the park:
- wildlife watching
- walking tracks and scenic lookouts
- swimming in designated areas and during the Dry Season only
- four wheel driving.
When visiting the park remember all of the following:
- put your rubbish in the bin or take it with you
- stay on marked roads and tracks
- all cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted in the park
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- camping is not permitted
- check that your vehicle is not transporting pests like weeds and cane toads
- you need a permit to use a drone - you must get it before you arrive.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Butterfly Gorge Nature Park by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- swim only where recommended and watch out for warning signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- wear suitable clothing and footwear
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- make sure your vehicle is well-maintained and equipped.
Last updated: 05 June 2020
Share this page: