Magpie geese and waterfowl hunting permits

All magpie geese and waterfowl hunters must apply for a waterfowl hunting permit in the Northern Territory (NT).

This includes if you're hunting inside or outside of Parks and Wildlife hunting reserves.

Read about rules for children and hunting permits.

Before you apply

You must have a current shooters licence issued by an Australian territory or state.

For more information or to apply for a shooters licence go to the NT Police website.

After each waterfowl hunting season, the Parks and Wildlife Commission request that you submit a permit return to them recording the birds you have killed.

Read about magpie geese and waterfowl hunting rules.

How to apply

You can apply for a permit at any time of year but you must hunt only during the gazetted hunting season.

There are two ways to apply - online or by filling in a form.

Apply online

Apply online at the Australian Government Department of Business website

Other ways to apply

You can fill in the waterfowl hunting permit form and send it to the Parks and Wildlife concessions and permits section with your fees.

Waterfowl hunting permit PDF (133.5 KB)
Waterfowl hunting permit DOCX (182.6 KB)

In person:
Jape Homemaker Village, Level 1 JHV2
356 Bagot Road, Millner

By post:
GPO Box 1448 
Darwin NT, 0801

Fax: (08) 8999 4524 


Waterfowl hunting permits cost $20 for one year and $80 for five years.

If you are applying for a permit online you must pay your fees online. Other applications can be paid by the methods below.

Replacement cards cost $22.

Email and fax

If you are sending your permit application by email or fax, you must include your credit card details on the form.

By mail

If you are sending your permit application in the mail you can pay your fee by cheque or money order payable to Receiver of Territory Monies. You can pay by credit card by filling in your card details on the form.

In person

If you submit your application in person you can pay your permit fee by cash, cheque, money order or credit card.

For more information call (08) 8999 4486.

Last updated: 20 March 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.