Apply for an NT history grant
Northern Territory (NT) history grants provide up to $7,000 to support original research about NT history and broaden community access and engagement with resources.
You can apply if you are a resident of the NT and an individual, a society or a community organisation.
Territory, State and Australian Government agencies, and employees of the NT Archives Service, can't apply.
Preference will be given to applications covering topics which have not been researched before.
If your topic has been researched before, your application must have a new approach.
Funds may be used for research project costs including:
- travel and accommodation
- printing and publication
- production of research guides based on selected topics
- stationery and consumables
- research fees
- copying charges.
Examples of funded projects
All of the following are examples of projects which have been funded in the past:
- historical research for a radio program
- historical research for a journal article
- historical research for a published work
- historical research for an unpublished or self published work
- oral history interviewing
- historical research for production of video or film
- historical research for production of website.
To read a list of previous recipients of NT history grants go to the Northern Territory Archives Service pages on the Department of Tourism, Sport and Culture website.
All of the following can't be funded by this grant:
- purchase of equipment and assets
- cataloguing of collections
- digitising for duplication of whole collections
- professional consulting fees
- interview fees or gift payments for interview participation
- costs relating to research that has already been done by the applicant.
To apply for a history grant follow these steps:
Step 1. Read the NT history grant guidelines.
Step 2. Contact the Northern Territory Archives Service to discuss your application if required.
Step 3. Submit your application in Grants Tracker online by COB Friday 23 November 2018.
For further information
Northern Territory Archives Service
Northern Territory Archives Centre
Millner NT 0810
Ph: 08 8924 7677
NT history grants are offered annually. Key dates for the 2018 grant are:
- applications open Friday 26 October 2018
- applications close Friday 23 November 2018
- applicants will be advised of the outcomes in December 2018
If your application is successful you will get an agreement in the mail. Before you can get your grant money you must follow these steps:
Step 1. Sign the agreement.
Step 2. Fill in a vendor creation/amendment form with your personal and bank details.
Include your Australian Business Number (ABN).
If your organisation does not have an ABN, you will need to fill in a statement by a supplier form. For more information and to get the form go to the Australian Government's Australian Taxation Office website.
Step 3. Mail the completed forms to the return address shown in your agreement.
After you get your grant money you must do all of the following:
- follow the grant agreement
- report in Grant Tracker on your progress within five months after you get the grant
- complete your project within 12 months after you get the grant
- acknowledge the support of the NT Government and the Northern Territory History Grants program if the result of your research is made public.
- when your project is finished you must acquit your grant in Grants Tracker and give two copies of the project outcome to the NT Archives Service.
Your grant may be terminated or suspended if:
- you request it
- your performance is unsatisfactory
- you do not meet the requirements of the grant agreement.
You must return any money you did not spend if your grant is terminated or suspended.
Last updated: 21 February 2019