Enrol your child at school

This page has information on how to enrol your child at school, priority enrolment, the documents you will need to support your enrolment and student transfers.

You can complete a student enrolment form either online or in person at your child's school:

If you complete the form online, you must attend your child's school to have your signatures witnessed and to provide the required documentation. A student media consent form and other forms relevant to the school may be given to you at this time.

If you are enrolling your child in preschool, you must also complete the supplementary preschool enrolment form:

Go to the policies section on the Department of Education website for more information about enrolling your child at school.

You can apply to enrol your child in a school of your choice, but priority is given to students living in the school's priority enrolment area.

If a school is approaching or has reached capacity, the school will decline applications from students who live outside its priority enrolment area.

Go to the Department of Education website for information about priority enrolment and for priority enrolment area maps.

When enrolling your child you will need all of the following:

  • birth certificate or equivalent identification
  • proof of address
  • details of any medical conditions
  • emergency contact details
  • immunisation record
  • name of previous school (if appropriate).

Birth certificate or other identification

You will need to provide you child's birth certificate or equivalent documentation:

  • Medicare card or health care card
  • document from a government department or a doctor that includes a date of birth and links the child to you.

If your child was born outside Australia, you must provide a passport or other documents such as a visa.

If you can't give identification, your child can still start school. However, lack of formal identification may mean your child's records are not accurate.

Proof of address

You will be asked to provide names and home addresses for you and your child and you may have to give proof of your home address if the school is nearly full.

Medical details

You must provide details of any conditions your child has that may require special consideration.

Emergency contacts

You will be asked to provide telephone numbers, including a nominated doctor, in the event of an emergency.


You must provide a Medicare immunisation history statement or the child’s immunisation card to preschools and primary schools.

Your child will not be prevented from enrolling in a primary school if they have not been immunised.

If your child is a middle or secondary student, you are not required to provide a Medicare immunisation history statement.

Previous schools

If your child is transferring from another school, you must provide the name of your child's previous school and current year level.

A mature age student is defined as a person who is 18 years of age or older and has not been enrolled in a school in the preceding 12 months.

All mature age students must undertake a criminal history check prior to enrolment. This does not apply to continuing students.

Students will have to pay for this themselves and can talk to their school for assistance.

Your child's records will automatically transfer when a student moves between government schools in the Territory.

If your child is transferring to a non-government school, your written consent must accompany any request from a non-government school or private training provider.

If you move interstate your child's new school will request your child's records from their previous school.

Last updated: 08 March 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!