Power of attorney
How to make a general power of attorney
You can grant someone general power of attorney by following these steps.
Write your document.
You can do one of the following:
- write your own
- download the power of attorney form
- pick up a form from a Land Titles office in either Darwin or Alice Springs.
If you write your own document, you should make sure there are no mistakes otherwise it can be invalid.
Your document should clearly show all of the following:
- the date the power was given
- your name and address
- the attorney’s name and address
- what they are allowed to do
- the attorney’s sample signature.
You can read more information in the Powers of Attorney Regulations 1982.
You should get a lawyer to check it.
Get your forms witnessed and signed.
This must be by a qualified witness, such as any of the following:
- Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths
- a police officer
- a solicitor.
If you can't sign
If you are unable to sign a power of attorney due to a disability or illiteracy, you need a special form called power of attorney by direction.
- Ask another adult to complete the power of attorney by direction form and sign on your behalf. They cannot be a witness.
- Get two other qualified witnesses to sign the form.
Last updated: 20 February 2019